Saturday, November 8, 2008

Stereotype!!!

When I was New Zealand for studying English, I always went to ESOL class instead of English class. This ESOL class was created for foreign students who are weak at English in reading and writing. So when everyone else went to English class, I went to ESOL class which is adjusted to my English level. Every lesson I read books and write about it. Now, as I study communication in UB programme, one of the stories has reminded and this has linked to communication theory. This story goes like this.

[It was bright and sunny day but I was sure that whenever the weather was great something bad has happened. As I got used to that kind of situation I made my move to Wendy’s as usual. As I just tempted to cross the road, a loud and unpleasant noise annoyed my ear. It was motorbike with a fat hairy guy. In his right arm there was tattoo of an angel and it got me wonder whether the tattoo was really meant to be there or not. I followed the smoke of motorbike thoughtlessly and it reached at Wendy’s. I felt uncomfortable that I got the feeling somehow I will meet up with that scary guy. Anyway, I moved my foot again to Wendy’s. As I entered my ears got busted with noise of people’s wild chat. I queued for my turn. I ordered one chocolate cookie packet and ice cream from habit. I looked for the seat but could not find one then suddenly one couple left their seat so I quickly walked down and snatched the seat before someone takes it. But it was totally my big mistake. When I just sipped my drink that chubby guy I saw in motorbike held his tray and turned his head this way and that. Even he was inside, he put his sunglass and his ridiculous cloth style was extremely conspicuous to compare with other normal outfits. When his head was turned to my view, I was afraid of sitting with him that I quickly turned my head down and hope he does not see me. But I as I mentioned before, I was always in bad luck when the weather was super cool. He saw my empty seat which was located opposite of me. He approached to and asked me whether he could sit opposite to me. I was so scared that I could not even meet his eyes and whispered my approval like a mosquito. He sat opposite to me and started to eat his food. So I just keep digging into my food so that I finish it quickly and leave this awkward and uncomfortable situation. Then, this has happened. This guy reached to my cookie and started to eat. I was so shocked that I became motionless. I had to consider whether I will continue to eat the cookie or not even it was mine. Kindly, when there was one piece of cookie was left, he took it and broke into two pieces and gave it to me. I do not know why but my mouth said this word “Thank you” so timidly. As soon as I finished my food, I dashed out of the restaurant and impatiently waited for the traffic lights to be changed. And that was the second moment that I became motionless again. As I put my hand into my pocket of jacket I felt something inside and took it out. It was a packet of cookie, absolutely new one. I got confused and slowly my mind combined to one piece. I thanked God that that guy did not try to kill me for eating his cookie. Now I understand the true meaning of angel tattoo which was on his right arm. He was a true angel.]

People judge other people based on their stereotype minded. Each person deny him or herself that he or she is not like others who critic other based on their standard which is strongly firmed through many various stereotyped mind. As it shown in this story, this boy judged this fat guy as scary and fierce person but it was completely wrong. We think that stereotype idea in our mind is useful that it can help to judge people without too much thinking but I take it rather an obstacle which makes our stream of mind dirty.

No comments: